June 27, 2016 -- Language students at Driver Middle School and Marcellus High School earned a total of 16 medals on the national French and Spanish exams administered in the spring.
“It’s a rigorous and competitive exam, and we are proud of our students,” said high school language teacher Jessica Cuello.
Le Grand Concours is a national competition sponsored by the American Association of Teachers of French. Students were evaluated for their written, oral and listening comprehension skills in French. More than 85,000 students in all 50 states competed in the 2016 event.
The National Spanish Examinations, meanwhile, are a motivational contest to recognize student achievement in the study of Spanish and to stimulate further interest in the teaching and learning of Spanish. More than 150,000 students nationwide in grades 6-12 participate annually.
Congratulations to all our high-achieving students!
French (teachers Audrey Misiano, Robin Brown and Jessica Cuello)
Accelerated French I students in eighth grade at DMS:
- Emily Falge, gold medal, second regionally
- Elaina Couse, gold medal, third regionally
- Amy Francesconi, silver medal, sixth regionally
- Caroline Buff, silver medal, seventh regionally
- Faith Nolan, bronze medal, 12th regionally
- Plus four honorable mentions
- Riley Lafrance, bronze medal, ninth regionally
- Joe Martin, bronze medal, 11th regionally
- Plus three honorable mentions
- Kailey Young, bronze medal, ninth regionally
- Erica Willenborg, bronze medal, 10th regionally
- Plus nine honorable mentions
- Rickie Mixon, bronze medal, eighth regionally
- Three honorable mentions
Spanish (teachers Kelly Bayne, Sarah Cartmill, Shelly Marsh and Erin Watson)
- Trevor Guerrina, bronze medal
- Nick Roseboom, bronze medal
- Cecilia Schwalbe, bronze medal
- Olivia Bird, bronze medal
- Trisha Curtin, bronze medal
- Michael Brown, silver medal
Honorable mentions: An additional 19 Marcellus students from the high school and DMS earned honorable mention on the Spanish exam.
- French students are honored for their excellent performance on the National French exam.
- Spanish students pose with certificates they earned for high achievement on the national exam.
- DMS Spanish 1 students Miriam Rigas (left) and Jessica Majo were two of the 19 students who earned honorable mention.